cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Educat win7 profil

Re: [[cat-users]] Educat win7 profil

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: GATTONI Pascal <pascal.gattoni AT synchrotron-soleil.fr>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Educat win7 profil
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 09:53:48 +0200

Hello,

> In our case, sometimes Computers are simultaneously connected in wired and
> wireless network.

Well, I'm sure in the (majority of) cases where the users are /not/
connected to the wired network, they would appreciate the automation of
auto-connect. No?

> As we choose not to connect automatically our laptop into the intranet
> wireless network, Eduroam will be the main connection for them.
> This is not a good choice for us.

When you don't Wi-Fi to be used, most laptops have a "Wi-Fi off" switch.
IMHO that is removing the root cause; I guess you wouldn't want the
laptops to connect to /any/ Wi-Fi in the vicinity when they are on
wired. No CAT config can achieve that - you really need to "unplug" the
Wi-Fi.

Turning off just one Wi-Fi by config, and in carte-blanche style
including situations where this is inappropriate does not seem like the
best of ideas to me.

de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette