cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Institution

Re: [[cat-users]] Institution

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Alexander Holm <goremesh AT gmail.com>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Institution
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:41:59 +0200

Hello,

> I am a student in Sweden and our institution does not use CAT as an
> onboarding service, instead it uses a pretty darn useless and outdated
> method of installing separate certificates which does not always work.
>
> I complained to them and suggested them using CAT instead since it seems
> to be quite good and is widespread among other universities in Sweden.
> They responded that CAT is quite expensive and that they therefore chose
> not to use it.
>
> Is CAT expensive? How much does the university pay?

This is one of the more unusual questions we get.

eduroam CAT (https://cat.eduroam.org) is an in-house product of eduroam
Operations which is run for the benefit of the entire eduroam community
world-wide. eduroam Operations does not charge anything for the use of CAT.

Ultimately, the permission to make use of CAT is delegated and lies with
the eduroam National Roaming Operator in the country where the Identity
Provider is located. In this case, that would be SUNET in Sweden.

It is in principle not unthinkable that an eduroam National Roaming
Operator would charge their identity providers for the permission to
sign-up and use eduroam CAT, but I would be really very extremely
surprised if that were the case in Sweden (or any other eduroam country,
for that matter).

In essence, I believe that simply someone was confused when they told
you that it is expensive :-)

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche