cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] SHA1 sunsetting

Re: [[cat-users]] SHA1 sunsetting

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] SHA1 sunsetting
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:57:26 +0200

Hi Alan,

W dniu 07.04.2016 o 14:39,
A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk
pisze:
> Hi,
>
>> > So, looking at that setup it doesn't matter that my root cert is
>> > SHA1, but
>> > we'll likely hit issues if the server cert is SHA1. However as that's
>> > not
>> > setup on the user devices I would guess that if I use the same root
>> > CA to
>> > create a new SHA256 server certificate with the same common name and
>> > tell
>> > the radius server to send that instead it would be transparent to
>> > users?
> pretty much - certainly until clients get fussy about SHA1 root CAs...
> however,
Anything is possible of course, but getting fussy about that would be
plain stupid. The trust is in the CA public key not in any hashes.
What the clients *could* rightly get fussy about would be the key length
of the CA.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology
Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576