cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Linux installer: upcoming behaviour change

Re: [[cat-users]] Linux installer: upcoming behaviour change

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Linux installer: upcoming behaviour change
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 21:50:54 +0200

Hi,
I have tested an implementation of altsubject-matches in our Linux
installers on recent Linux distributions and things seem to work nicely.
While thinking about it I also begun to wonder if our current fallback -
preparation of a wpa_supplicant configuration file actually serves any
purpose. On a system without Network Manager we collect user's data and
then fail Network Manager installation and just create a wpa_supplicant
configuration file. This file contains user's eduroam access password,
which has raised some concern on this list.

I have a feeling that an average user will not have no clue what to do
with this configuration file. In a typical situation the fall-back will
happen when the network is managed by something else then Network
Manager so the wpa_supplicant file will not be of direct use.

Therefore I would suggest that the installer first detects if it can
interact with Network Manager and if not just informs the user that it
cannot continue.

Does anyone think that the current wpa_supplicant.conf fall-back should
be preserved?

Cheers
Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576