cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Anti-Virus False Positive

Re: [[cat-users]] Anti-Virus False Positive

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Anti-Virus False Positive
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 07:52:00 +0100

Hello,

> One of our users has reported that the University of Birmingham Eduroam
> CAT is being flagged as malware in their Norton 360 AV software. We have
> checked this on VirusTotal and it appears to be being reported by a
> small number of other AV engines.
>
> We suspect this to be a false-positive based on the behaviour of the
> tool (possible its insertion into autoruns). I have attached a
> screenshot of the VirusTotal results.

That's my assumption as well. The screenshot shows that
behavioural/heuristics is what triggered this on three of the four scan
results. "Malware Generic" "Suspicious" and "BehavesLike" are typical
words seen in heuristic matches.

I'm a bit worried that one AV engine, Baidu, reports a real hit for a
trojan "WisdomEyes". But quick googling suggests that Baidu are also the
only ones the planet who actually have a trojan with that name in their
DB. So, maybe they are just wrong.

Unless more scanners report actual hits I'm really rather sure that this
is a false positive.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche