cat-users - [cat-users] Terms of Use: UTF-8

[cat-users] Terms of Use: UTF-8

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: [cat-users] Terms of Use: UTF-8
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:23:50 +0200

Hello all,

as a follow-up to the recent thread about a failing Windows installer:

Please only upload Terms of Use files in UTF-8 character set.

We produce installers for a number of archictures and file formats. The
only way to ensure that on every platform something sensible is
produced, we have to know what we get as an input, to be able to convert
it correctly to whatever the target platform needs.

Most of the sanitisation happens automatically behind the scenes, e.g.
all form data is requested from the browser in UTF-8 already, so all
input is "magically" converted for you.

However, when you upload a file, the file is what it is, and no magic
can be applied. There is nothing we can do to fix an unreadable input
file after it has arrived on the CAT server.

And as it happens, the Windows installers may not work properly when fed
with such "garbage".

In a future version (1.1.2 probably), we will check for valid UTF-8-ness
in incoming files and will immediately reject the file if it does not
parse as UTF-8.

In the meantime, please remember this bit yourself and use an editor
with UTF-8 support for your file creation. It's hard not to use one,
actually, because most sane operating systems do UTF-8 by default. But
there is also Windows of course ;-). But even there, "notepad.exe" has
the needed capabilities.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

recipient's key is known to me

  • [cat-users] Terms of Use: UTF-8, Stefan Winter, 09/29/2015