cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Change of the site-address?

Re: [cat-users] Change of the site-address?

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surfnet.nl>, Theo Hoeks <thoeks AT onderwijsgroeptilburg.nl>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, Merijn van de Schoot <mvdschoot AT onderwijsgroeptilburg.nl>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Change of the site-address?
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 16:04:34 +0200

>> Hello Paul and Alan,
>>
>> Was there any way we could have known this before the change?
> Probably no one in the OT thought about people whitelisting the CAT
> website. I guess it was only implied in the announcement as:
> "We'll use this opportunity to move the CAT to the new, dedicated host."
>
> I think it could have been more explicit.

Sure, and we'll know this for future moves.

However: we played by all the rules. We lowered DNS TTL way ahead of the
change to make sure that there are no stale cache IPs anywhere, and that
the change will be propagated near instantly to everyone who resolves
the name cat.eduroam.org.

Systems which were configured with the *hostname* cat.eduroam.org would
only notice a hiccup in the seconds or at worst minutes range.

I configure firewalls and similar myself, and I know how tempting it is
to "just take the IP". I sometimes take that shortcut, too. But one
needs to be aware that this is cutting corners and bound to fail
eventually. The DNS system has TTL timeouts built-in for a reason, and
by ignoring the attached TTL and taking a snapshot of the DNS results at
any one point in time, this definitely means breakage at some point in
the future.