cat-users - Re: [cat-users] New CAT 1.1 iPhone Issues

Re: [cat-users] New CAT 1.1 iPhone Issues

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Shane Schlosser <Shane.Schlosser AT ufv.ca>, "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] New CAT 1.1 iPhone Issues
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 08:12:55 +0200

Hello,

> I have been testing the new CAT 1.1 at our institution and have run into a
> couple issues while testing it on an iPhone.
>
> 1. The installer works properly and installs the profile OK, it then
> auto-joins to 'eduroam' properly, however, after it is joined I am unable
> to access the internet even though I can verify that I have been given an
> IP, gateway, and DNS server by our DHCP server. What I do notice is that
> the HTTP PROXY option has been set to 'Auto', if I turn this to 'Off' I am
> then able to browse the internet as expected on eduroam.
>
> If I manually connect to eduroam I do not see this behavior and it works
> properly right away, the HTTP PROXY option is set to 'Off'. I do not
> remember this occurring in the previous version of the CAT tool, at least I
> did not have a problem after connecting so I didn't go looking at the HTTP
> PROXY setting.

The proxy setting was switched from Off to Auto following requests on
the cat-users mailing list.

The theory is that "Auto" is a transparent auto-detection mechanism
which is supposed to detect that (in your case) there is no proxy in
use, and thus should detmine the "Off" position and have no adverse effects.

Well... either your network has "some" proxy around (either
dysfunctional, or only supposed to work with a different set of
clients), and the Auto setting finds it when it shouldn't - or there's a
bug in iOS's proxy detection.

I find that a bit intriguing TBH - and wonder if the problem is limited
to your institution, or if it is more general?

> 2. I noticed during the installation I was asked to enter my username and
> password twice, the first time was for the WI-FI network 'eduroam' which is
> expected, the second time it was for the WI-FI network
> 'UFV.CA-6CBA5642-6279-4B18-B0EC-F3AC748DE0BC'. I do not know where the
> second network is coming from as I see no sign of it in the installer when
> I'm looking at our institutions details and profile.

The second one is iOS's quirky way of telling you that this is the
"Hotspot 2.0" configuration, which is also new in CAT 1.1.

The same profile on MacOS tells you that you should enter your
credentials for a Hotspot 2.0 network (good), but iOS instead presents
you with the "hexadecimal gibberish" network (bad).

We've opened a bug report at Apple almost a year ago (issue 17775556 of
23 July 2014), and several iOS releases have gone by, but it seems like
nobody in Cupertino has picked up the ball yet :-( I'll re-iterate that
this bug is now visible for millions of end-users. Maybe they'll care
more then.

We are aware that Hotspot 2.0 is on the more bleeding-edge of features
(even though the spec is more than two years old now!) and it is
configurable CAT-wide whether we ship Hotspot 2.0 profiles or not. If
you find this UI quirk too annoying/it confuses your users overly,
please voice your opinion on the list - if the feature does more harm
than good, we'll turn it off.

> I have tested it in Windows 7 and 8 and have not had any problems.

That's good news :-)

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche