cat-users - Re: [cat-users] request for copy of eduroam-WXP-UoG.exe

Re: [cat-users] request for copy of eduroam-WXP-UoG.exe

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Eric Defferard <Eric.Defferard AT unige.ch>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] request for copy of eduroam-WXP-UoG.exe
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 17:54:50 +0200

> My name is Eric Defferard.
> I am a network administrator and Eduroam CAT IdP administrator at the
> University of Geneva, in Switzerland.
>
> We acknowledge the decision taken by Eduroam to stop providing public
> access to packages containing code over which the company SecureW2
> holds distribution rights and refuses public access to.
>
> But as we have a copy of the eduroam-W7-UoG.exe authentication plug-in
> modules for the Windows 7 supplicant (for maintenance and mothballing
> of several important legacy systems), we are missing the
> eduroam-WXP-UoG.exe module for a handful of other important legacy
> systems running under Windows XP.
>
> May I kindly ask you to send a copy of this Eduroam-WXP-UoG.exe, for
> Windows XP, taylored for the University of Geneva ?
>
> Of oourse, UniGE shall restrict access to this module to UniGE staff
> only.

In the course of removing the licensing problem from eduroam CAT we
removed everything: the binary which was previously embedded and part of
our code distribution, the already generated tailored installers in the
system's cache, and also all of our code to re-generate those installers.

So... even if we were to try and help you (which we aren't allowed to
license-wise, because we would again be distributing executable code
without having the source, thus again breaking the GPL license), we
simply can't, because all data and code pertinent to these kinds of
installers has stopped to exist.

That said: I assume/hope that the number of important XP systems would
be very low? In that case, maybe a manual configuration of those systems
for eduroam is the most straightforward thing to do; the automation that
CAT provides provides most benefit when applying them to large-scale
rollouts.