cat-users - [cat-users] Are CAT mobileconfig files with the same name indeed different?

[cat-users] Are CAT mobileconfig files with the same name indeed different?

  • From: Steve Bohrer <skbohrer AT simons-rock.edu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-users] Are CAT mobileconfig files with the same name indeed different?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 16:05:02 -0500

I just wanted to confirm if CAT tools with the same names are indeed the
same. For instance, from the installer page for our institution, the various
Windows tools have different names based on their OS, e.g. for Windows 7,
"eduroam-W7-BCaSsR.exe”, and for Windows 8, "eduroam-W8-BCaSsR.exe"

However, all four of the Mac OS “Desktop” buttons download the same filename:
eduroam-MacOS-BCaSsR.mobileconfig .

Are these tools actually the same, or does the Mac OS version indeed matter?
(diff shows that the files differ, but in a previous exchange, this seemed to
be merely due to timestamps or something in the build process, rather than an
indication of real changes.)

Basically, I’m asking if we need four different Mac versions, or if the
distinction is just between Desktop and Mobile?

(And, if there really are four different tools, could you name them
differently to indicate they are different? That would limit confusion about
if users have downloaded the proper tool.)

Thanks for all you do,
Steve Bohrer
Network Admin, ITS
Bard College at Simon's Rock