cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Apple devices: support proxy auto-discovery (WPAD)?

Re: [cat-users] Apple devices: support proxy auto-discovery (WPAD)?

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Apple devices: support proxy auto-discovery (WPAD)?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:47:06 +0100

Hi,

> visited sites that use a proxy may use several methods to get clients
> to use that proxy - WPAD process (done either by DHCP options, DNS or
> both),

That is, they will try to. If we don't set the Apple profiles to honour
this, then auto-config will fail; and that's our current approach. That
is the main issue.

> WCCP method (eg IOS routers), traffic dedirection in general
> or bump in the wire.

Sure - at some point, if visited sites use an obscure provisioning
method, we can't help them (and, frankly, maybe also don't *want* to
help them). WPAD is really widely deployed and somewhat understood though.

> Visited sites would not be providing the eduroam
> profile for visitors - that is the home sites duty - only the home
> site knows the correct methods and has the RADIUS server details etc

The visited sites are the ones who would need to communicate their proxy
config needs though. The home site can't possibly know about these.
That's where things can be automated with WPAD if we allow it to happen.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER