cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Eduroam CAT

Re: [cat-users] Eduroam CAT

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Jaspal Dhalley <J.S.Dhalley AT westminster.ac.uk>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, Daniel Halter <D.Halter AT westminster.ac.uk>, Hassan Olusesi <H.Olusesi AT westminster.ac.uk>, Carl Lobo <C.M.Lobo AT westminster.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Eduroam CAT
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:17:39 +0200

Hello,

> We have received an email about Eduroam cat: (See below) when we click
> on the link we cannot see university of Westminster listed as a IDP so

The UK Federation has recently joined eduGAIN (which is the necessary
and sufficient condition to be listed on the "eduGAIN" IdP list). Not
being an administrator of the UK federation, I can't tell you the
required steps to become listed in eduGAIN myself, but I'm sure that
personnel within Janet(UK) can give you the necessary information on how
to join.

People from Janet(UK) are on this list, so I'll leave it to them to take
you further.

Listing your own IdP via eduGAIN is the (much) preferred way of logging
in compared to the GEANT "GIdP" service or the social providers such as
Google, LinkedIn, etc. But these are supported and supposed to work, of
course.

> when we attempt to login to GEANT and click register the new page that
> is opened fails.
>
> Please could you give us further instructions on this, both myself and a
> colleague have looked at this with no joy.

I can confirm that the "Register" button which leads to this URL:

https://gidp.geant.net:8443/gidp/nreninfo.gidp

appears to be broken as of now (no reply from server).

Anyway, the text behind that button would merely have told you to
contact your national administrator for him to create an account for
you. Again, your national administrator is Janet(UK), and they can
create an account for you even with this particular button being broken.
I.e. please contact Janet(UK) for the next steps.

That said, the button should of course be fixed. This is not an eduroam
CAT issue (it's the GEANT GIdP service), but I'm rather confident that
GIdP people will get alerted by this mail; they are on this list, too.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1