cat-users - [cat-users] (fwd) uninstallers in CAT

[cat-users] (fwd) uninstallers in CAT

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: [cat-users] (fwd) uninstallers in CAT
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 08:57:45 +0200

Mischa Diehm of Basel University, Switzerland had an off-list discussion
with me about the topic of *un*installing eduroam:

"in our NOC group there have been upcoming arguments that we must inform
users more precise in terms of what it means if they set up eduroam on a
device. The problem reported is that (no-technical) people don't realize
that they persistantly have put their UserCredentials into the device!
This means that if they borrowed a device and hand it back they will
need to uninstall the wlan-eduroam-profile.if they sell their device..
if they lend their device . I think you can see where this discussion
goes. Did you ever discuss this topic in your environments or meetings
and is it possible to also create uninstallers on eduroam.org?"

This only touches CAT "business" periphally:

* borrowing a device and then putting your own private credentials onto
it is a bad idea in general, regardless of the provisioning method -
keyloggers or in general lenders with a bad attitude are not nice.

* credential hygiene is important for all services on a computer, be it
WiFi credentials or your IMAP account or whatnot; so educating its users
is certainly an important job for an IdP to do - but is nothing that is
special to eduroam or eduroam CAT.

There is one CAT-wise interesting aspect to this though: even if a user
wants to uninstall eduroam - our installers don't do that for him. At
least on Windows, most other software allows the choice of "Uninstall"
when running it a second time post-installation; but we don't have that
feature yet.

Is an uninstall feature something that folks on the list would consider
useful to implement? I should add that the ability to do this will vary
from platform to platform - on iOS device for example, the only way for
the user to trigger deletion is going to the Settings app himself;
tapping the mobileconfig file a second time won't do.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

  • [cat-users] (fwd) uninstallers in CAT, Stefan Winter, 09/03/2013