cat-users - [cat-users] 1.1 feature: Download page "welcome" text

[cat-users] 1.1 feature: Download page "welcome" text

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, eduroam CAT development and translation <cat-devel AT geant.net>
  • Subject: [cat-users] 1.1 feature: Download page "welcome" text
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:24:46 +0200

some of you may still remember that the alpha and beta of CAT had an
extra device called "Welcome Letter" which would generate a nice welcome
letter with warm words from eduroam Operations.

That idea of mine was so tremendously successful that we killed the
feature before 1.0. ;-)

And that was the right thing to do. It was code-wise easy to present
this as an extra "device", but it was totally misplaced there.

We are thinking of showing those same warm words on the download page
now - simple HTML instead of a bulky extra device button.

The reason to do this (and that was my initial idea with the device
button) was that this download area is our first, and probably only
contact with end users; so we can tell them about the global roaming
goodness which they get when configuring eduroam; that is an aspect that
easily goes amiss when just configuring on campus for campus use.

It also serves as very subtle advertising, telling the user that eduroam
is a really cool thing :-)

Tomasz has been hacking on trunk code to show this extra message while
the download is happening; it's the "usual" thing you also get at
Sourceforge etc. with the screen showing the stuff, and a few-second
delay until the download commences. I'm sure all of you know what I mean.

Here is a (experimental!) implementation of this:

http://cat.eduroam.pl/?idp=2&profile=3

Hit a download button, and see the magic in action. (If things look
strange: empty your browser cache and force-reload the page)

Please let us know what you think of this.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

  • [cat-users] 1.1 feature: Download page "welcome" text, Stefan Winter, 08/30/2013