cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID

Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID

  • From: A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:25:24 +0100

we would like this feature too - our current provisioning tool has
this ability (which works on clients that support the feature/ability).
otherwise clients will try connecting to the setup SSID again..and again.

(we've had several service desk cases in the past months from users
frustrated that they 'have to run the eduroam setup tool everytime I want
to use wifi!' (huh? we thought until we realised what they were doing...
turning on wifi..their client (already configured for eduroam!) goes
off and connects to the setup SSID...and the user just follows the prompts..
if they just 'forgot' the setup SSID they would be fine.

I think this scenario happens a lot more than we credit....and it actually
quite a problem for some users who think its the 'eduroam way' of getting
online...like they used to do with captive portal login. so they
are not getting the 100% benefits of 802.1X at all.... obviously,
on devices where the setup SSID *can* be removed..this is a good thing.

regarding cleaning up clients.....isnt the total erradication of that annoying
'Free Public WiFi' SSID a *good thing* ? :-)

alan