cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID

Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Removing SSID
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:53:12 +0200

> Is it possible to remove an SSID using the cat program?
>
> We’d like to setup an open SSID that redirects users to the CAT download
> page. Once the run the installer, we’d like this SSID removed from
> their list so they don’t auto connect again.

We don't currently support this at the moment.

Deleting settings which are unrelated to eduroam is a debatable topic.
In the scenario you describe it is certainly coupled with the eduroam
service in some way, and it makes sense to de-provision the bootstrap
SSID afterwards.

I'm worried a bit that once a "delete other SSID" feature is present, it
would also be used for general client hygiene by admins, going beyond
the eduroam bootstrap problem. Maybe that's just me though; I have
recently heard a presentation about Internet2's InCert and was baffled
at what some admins apparently want to do once they have a "foot in the
door" on the client device. I wouldn't want to go down that way with
CAT; its purpose is setting up eduroam, nothing more.

But since your scenario indeed has to do with eduroam provisioning, it's
not unthinkable to add such a support (to some device classes that allow
us to do this; e.g. on all Apple devices, the user's SSIDs are under his
own control, new network profiles can't generously delete other settings
on the device).

So, I'd make an implementation of this feature dependent on user
demand... if enough people ask for it, it may well happen.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi