cat-users - [cat-users] eduroam CAT 1.0-rc1 release

[cat-users] eduroam CAT 1.0-rc1 release

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net, eduroam CAT development and translation <cat-devel AT geant.net>, TF-Mobility <mobility AT terena.org>, "gn3-jra3-t1 AT geant.net" <gn3-jra3-t1 AT geant.net>, "eduroam AT geant.net" <eduroam AT geant.net>
  • Subject: [cat-users] eduroam CAT 1.0-rc1 release
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:27:22 +0100

with great please we can announce the next pre-release version of
eduroam CAT!

This time around we are so happy with the code that we don't believe any
significant changes are necessary any more, so we've decided to call
this release "Release Candidate 1". This means no code is touched unless
a significant bug is found; i.e. very probably "this is it".

At the end of the mail you'll find the detailed Changelog between beta2
and rc1. We had next to no bug reports, and the few new features you'll
see there are almost exclusively very minor things in seldomly used
corners of the code base.

The only really *notable* new features are:

* Apple iOS installers now also support TTLS-MSCHAPv2 (previously, only
PEAP-MSCHAPv2 and TTLS-PAP were supported).
* the front page is completely redesigned for more user-centricity and
fanciness

For the final release, we are imposing more stringent rules on which
languages will be included in the release, because a "half-finished"
user interface makes a very bad impression on end-users. The rule is
that all enduser-facing strings have to be at 100% translation. Strings
in the admin backend can be below; the impact of a missing translation
is lower on admins.

Having said that, we've released rc1 with support for only *9*
languages; namely those that are at 100% or very close before. The
languages are: Català, Deutsch, English(GB), Español, Italiano, Polski,
Slovenščina, Srpski, Português.

(Portuguese is new; thanks a lot to Esmeralda and Pedro for their work!)

The URL for accessing the service remains the same as before:

https://cat-test.eduroam.org

On first visit, you may have to do a full reload (Firefox: Ctrl+F5)
because the CSS has changed and things might look strange with the old,
cached version of the stylesheet.

We are still putting final touches (well, chapters ;) ) on the eduroam
CAT Institution Administrator's Manual (which is the last remaining TODO
for version 1.0). A draft version is available here:

https://confluence.terena.org/x/fgBYAg

The source tarball of the release is available on the GEANT
Downloads portal at the usual place:

http://downloads.geant.net

then click on "Roaming" and then "eduroam CAT".

Further plans
--------------
I promised you a CAT 1.0 Christmas present and hope to be able to keep
it; release of the final source tarball "might" occur on the morning of
the 24th of December (yes, I actually work on that day :-( ).

Please do not expect that either the development website on
cat-test.eduroam.org or the production one on to-be cat.eduroam.org will
become available on that same day; I'm the only one working on the
planet probably, and the source tarball doesn't install itself on those
machines :-)

We'll announce the availability of the upgraded websites as soon as
holiday hiatus comes to an end and the eduroam Operations Team has moved
things to the final URL. This may well take a few weeks (different
machine, different base OS).

In the meantime, please enjoy the rc1 and do not hesitate to report bugs
to us!

Changes in release 1.0-rc1
=====================
- [BUGFIX] Windows module did not work for Vista without SP1
- [BUGFIX] removed all PHPdoc parser errors and warnings
- [BUGFIX] grammar and punctuation fixes throughout the UI
- [BUGFIX] auto-set the radio button in manage DB link if "other"
is used
- [BUGFIX] non-fedadmin users in the eduroam DB are not any more
falsely classified as being fedadmin for the
(non-existing, non-working) "NULL" federation
- [FEATURE] Apple iOS installer download help is now displaying
texts conditional to number of CAs/number of SSIDs
installed
- [FEATURE] Apple iOS installers now also support TTLS-MSCHAPv2
- [FEATURE] Admins now also have a "Start page" link to the main site
- [FEATURE] we now also generate QR codes for deeplinking to the
inst level (not just individual profiles) Some insts
might want to drop their users into the profile
selection stage.
- [FEATURE] Additional startup screen for the Linux module
- [FEATURE] Improvement in handling deep linking
- [FEATURE] Debugging for Windows modules, you can now enable a lot
of messages on the client, temporary files are not
deleted either
- [FEATURE] allow superadmins to delete old temporary directories
conveniently from their home page
- [FEATURE] Installation check includes whether default values were
changed in the config, and whether all client cert
related files exist

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

  • [cat-users] eduroam CAT 1.0-rc1 release, Stefan Winter, 12/13/2012