cat-users - [cat-users] eduroam CAT release alpha3S

[cat-users] eduroam CAT release alpha3S

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "gn3-jra3-t1 AT geant.net" <gn3-jra3-t1 AT geant.net>, TF-Mobility <mobility AT terena.org>, eduroam CAT development and translation <cat-devel AT geant.net>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-users] eduroam CAT release alpha3S
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 16:24:13 +0200

Hello all,

a little Easter present.

We have just rolled out the new release of eduroam CAT, release
1.0-alpha3S. This is the first time we're announcing it to an open list
for wider testing. You can now find the most current code base under

http://cat-test.eduroam.org

This is the only URL you'll need in the future - you can access the user
and admin areas respectively from that main page by pushing the
unoverlookably big blue buttons.

Mobile devices are redirected to a simplistic download interface to
satisfy screen size constraints. If you steer to the web page with a
mobile device, this should happen automatically - if not, you can
manually point it to http://cat-test.eduroam.org/basic.php

A run-down of new features compared to alpha2 is below, but important
things first: we have a mailing list for users of the system. Please
point people who use the system and have a bug or question (or
compliment, for that matter :-) ) to

for subscription information for
cat-users AT geant.net.
Please subscribe
before posting, posts from non-members to the list are a very tedious thing.

When you log in to the admin area, you'll see the biggest new feature:
we want to know who you are, and bind IdPs to administrators. Right now
we have only enabled Google as an IdP, but it's just a matter of
simpleSAMLphp configuration to add more in the future. See the TNC2012
conference login for how we imagine it to be in the final release.

The second big new feature is multi-linguality all around: IdP names,
Profile names, all user-visible strings can be entered in multiple
languages. There is a "default/all" language setting. Usually, you
should have at least one entry with "all/default". If you only have
specific languages, and the user wants to download an installer in a
non-configured language - they won't see the names. Usually, I would
think the typical choice would be to use an English representation of
the name as default.

You can also upload Terms of Use files in the same multi-lingual manner.

There is preliminary support to enable Posture Assessment (NEA), at
least for recent Windows installers (Vista, 7, 8). We are not sure if
that really works though; it merely flips the on/off toggle in the EAP
properties, but does not activate the posture assessment engine (that
would need admin rights on the target machine - we don't know if we want
to ask for admin rights).

Tomasz also gave the admin area the same fresh look that the user area
always had. Hope you like it.

In terms of installers supported, we now have something for the current
Windows 8 beta.

After you log in for the first time, you'll notice that "You are not
managing any institutions" - the database had to be flushed, there were
just too many schema differences. On the bottom of the same page you'll
see that "You are authorised to create new institutions" - just fill out
the fields, and an email invitation token will be sent to the prospect
IdP admin. That could be yourself :-) Note that the privilege is meant
only for federation-level operators. Right now, to facilitate easy
testing, every logged in user has that privilege. We'll trim down this
privilege before going for 1.0, of course. We've already received
feedback that a visual feedback like "the mail has been sent" would be
nice - that feature will be in the next release.

Every legitimate admin can invite other people to co-admin his IdP. As
soon as you are an IdP admin, you'll get a separate "Invite" button for
that specific IdP.

One thing we are particularly interested in is finding out what you
think about the complexity of the admin interface - we have to query the
administrator for a lot of information; we hope we are not overloading
people with the interface - please let us know your feelings via the
above-mentioned mailing list.

eduroam CAT 1.0alpha3S is available in 9 languages, most of which are
100% translated.

You'll notice more little things that changed. We tried to support
oldish/strange browsers, but if you use Internet Explorer < 9 you might
be up for surprises. In general, upgrading your browser is the best
bugfix :-)

The tar release of the source code will be on downloads.geant.net
"shortly" (pending manual processing from a GEANT intranet admin).

And now, keep the bug reports coming! If all goes well, we can with a
good consciousness call the next release "beta1".

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi