rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] FreeRtr doc issues

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] FreeRtr doc issues

  • From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <>
  • To: mc36 <>, Frédéric LOUI <>, Frederic LOUI <>
  • Cc: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] FreeRtr doc issues
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:38:16 -0400

Hi CS,

I snipped some text for clarity :-)

- On http://docs.freertr.org/guides/getting-started/001-hello-world/, "wget http://www.freertr.net/rtr.jar"; missed "sudo" at the beginning.

:))) normally the rtr.jar, and then "java -jar rtr.jar routerc rtr-", does _not_ needs sudo...

Silly me. Apparently, I did the "sudo mkdir /rtr", then somehow got distracted and did the rest either after the sudo effect timed out, or in another window :-)

- On http://docs.freertr.org/guides/getting-started/002-topology-example/, why is "/vrf" used in "r1#ping 1.1.1.2 /vrf v1"? I was really confused by the errors that I got, then I tried removing "/" from "/vrf" and it worked.

For people not familiar with the CLI or the history it is very confusing :-)

A big question:

On freertr.net, there is a "wget freertr.org/install.sh ; sudo bash install.sh". It installs a lot of things and wipes out all my network configuration and I no longer have access to the outside world. On the other hand, on http://docs.freertr.org/guides/getting-started/001-hello-world/, the installation is very simple.

What's the difference?

you mentioned ubutnu, and that script is, yes, me... the initial text in the install.sh reads like,

debian-sid-only.... on ubuntu it will not work, i never tested, blindly installs, etc... just dont!!!

Ah. As someone new to ubuntu, I did not know the difference betwee debian-sid-only and ubuntu other than that ubuntu is debian-related.

if it ever worked out (i do not test at all only on debian, x86, i686, arm64 with dpdk.org and

_occassionaly_ on an intel-tofino1 asic, but only when a new feature arrives!!!)

if you still have the ubuntu vm, then you may can check the following to recover;

"telnet 10.255.255.254" from the console, to see if the jvm is alive, and "sho interfa"

to see if the packetio is working properly... as they shit different glibc version

compared to the latest/uplink-of-theirs debian-sid+experimental i bet you that jvm

is ok, however you have no a single packet from any detected interface because

misc/natives/pcapint.c is keeps restarting... "show proc external" will tell

you the rerun count column kept increasing on "display/watch/show proc ext"

I tried 10.255.255.254 and somehow it was not working for me so I simply deleted the vm and created another one and did the "mget rtr.jar". At least the simple r1/r2/r3/r4 examples are working.

To do BIER testing between us, which installation method should I use?

to a simple bier test, my best bet would be elinks freertr.org and grab the x86-64.vmdk...

thats a prebuilt, everything bundled, believed to boot to a serial console like any highend router...

I'll give that a try. Or qcow2?

if thats a nogo, please drop the ubuntu, and next-next-ok install a debian.org iso... then

sudo

echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot

then the wget..... it must end up in a working vrouter installation within your laptop....!!!!

wget rtr.jar?

More questions to come ... :-)

im excited, its the _1st_ -->bier<-- this weekend 4 me we're preparing to......

thx in advance not giving up early... bier is... goood! im used to that "poison"... :)))

I'm excited, too, even though it's a lot of learning on the VM stuff.

Thanks!

Jeffrey

br,

cs

  • Re: [RARE-users] FreeRtr doc issues, Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang, 10/20/2023