rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] Polka vs Segment Routing SRV6

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] Polka vs Segment Routing SRV6

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Everson Borges <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] Polka vs Segment Routing SRV6
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:11:42 +0200

hi,
so the thing is that, sreth tunnel mode would be the dx2 in srv6 terminology,
and it is to carry layer2 frames over a specific ip.proto field... it is
supported
in the dataplanes but not exported from freerouter right now only when you
set up
an evpn with srv6: http://sources.freertr.org/cfg/p4lang-rout013.tst
it also demonstrates tunnel mode srv6, which is an internal construct to
freerouter
to serve as a destination which you can advertise and deal with the srv6
packets...
one more thing to note is that right now nothing but vpns are supported from
srv6
in the dataplanes, so no fancy policy routing stuff like you can do with
polka...
(in software forwarding, you can impose the srext header and do the tricks,
but
until they break the drafts yearly and i have to rework when i reevaluate the
interop tests with my v9000k, i resist to bring these to the dataplanes
because
of the extra effotrt:))
regarding srmpls, here is the sample to look at:
http://sources.freertr.org/cfg/p4lang-rout174.tst
one thing to note is that the dataplanes can impose no more than 2 labels,
that is,
you can onyl have a single ip in the tunnel domain list... (the other label
is used
exclusively when freerouter have to express an mpls l2/l3 vpn through an
srmpls tunnel)
also note that if the tunnel headend is in software mode then it can impose
any label stack...
on the other hand, rsvp-te is the only thing that can express arbitrary paths
and could
be exported to the dataplanes... here is a sample:
http://sources.freertr.org/cfg/p4lang-rout129.tst
br,
cs