rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] Freertr questions

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] Freertr questions

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Everson Borges <>
  • Cc: edgardcunha <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] Freertr questions
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 22:48:54 +0200

hi,

On 6/9/22 22:32, Everson Borges wrote:

1 - I think I saw you doing connection tests between freertrs, (throughput and latency) with freertr commands in a virtual session, I explored the freertr menu and didn't find it, could you give us some tips?
Edgard and I do mini testbeds, but we still don't have computers to do a
throughput test going through the switches.

unfortunately nothing better at hand except ping xxx size 1333 repeat
1111111....
that's how i also verify if a dataplane performs everything in hardware...
latency is what could be used by the link state routing protocols, but it's
also written out after the ping:
noti#ping 1.1.1.1
pinging 1.1.1.1, src=10.10.10.11, vrf=inet, cnt=5, len=64, tim=1000, gap=0,
ttl=255, tos=0, sgt=0, flow=0, fill=0, sweep=false, multi=false
!!!!!
result=100%, <-- just a small math on the next line
recv/sent/lost/err=5/5/0/0, <--- packet counters
rtt min/avg/max/sum=4/8/22/52, <--- round-trip-time... so it's the
latency!!!!
ttl min/avg/max=54/54/54, <--- ttl saw on the packets received back as a reply
tos min/avg/max=0/0/0 <--- tos saw on the packets received back as a reply
noti#

but be warned, if you're still on the lab you (partially) showed me a week
ago,
then there is no reason to do extensive measures on those because you're still
processing every packet in freerouter software and not in the dataplanes...

to activate the dataplane, first of all archive the current state, just to be
sure:
$ tar cvf /freertr-swmode.tar /rtr/*
then proceed with freertr.org's last some lines about "activate external
forwarding"
this, by default, will bring you up p4emu, which is a pcap based method...
that is,
every packet will have the nic---kernel---p4emu.bin---kernel---nic path, and
jumping
to/from the kernel is very expensive... but i would not suggest to skip this
stage
because it's the same forwarder but it's activation is as easy as described
on the
homepage... to get rid of the 2*kernel parts, well, it's a completely
guesswork and
right now i dont have a 100% cookbook, so when you reach to that point, my
suggestion
is a small vc and let's do that together.... but in a nutshell:
-revert to software forwarding from /freertr-swmode.tar
-uncomment/replicate the proper lines from hwdet-all.sh to bind nics to dpdk
-redo the "activate external forwarding" with p4dpdk instead of p4emu
-pray a lot :)

2 - How to restore old freertr configuration, I saw a command called
rollback-config, is it possible to use this command or in some different way?

the safest be it "flash copy /path/to/old-config.txt /rtr/rtr-sw.txt" / "reload
warm"
alternatively, you can do "flash copy /path/to/old-config.txt /rtr/rtr-sw.txt" /
"config revert"
in case you have a network config store then
"config reload http/tftp/whatever://server/path/to/old-config.txt" / "reload
warm"
or "config reload http/tftp/whatever://server/path/to/old-config.txt" / "config
revert"
or "config replace http/tftp/whatever://server/path/to/old-config.txt"

br,
cs