rare-users - [RARE-users] Dynamic Intra/Inter domain topology routing mockup

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

[RARE-users] Dynamic Intra/Inter domain topology routing mockup

  • From: Frédéric LOUI <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Thomas Mangin <>, mc36 <>
  • Subject: [RARE-users] Dynamic Intra/Inter domain topology routing mockup
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 17:34:05 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 zmtaauth02.partage.renater.fr 6366BA0660

Hi RARE/freeRtr users !

We did a bit of hacking during this week-end and I’d like to share with you a _mockup_ of dynamic Intra/Inter domain topology routing here:
http://62.40.109.31/next-mockup/

Nothing special here except:

1- Topology is dynamically acquired via BGP-LS from RARE/freeRtr node.
2- This BGP-LS feed is translated to JSON model thanks to exaBGP NLRI decoding feature
3- This model is then use to feed NeXt-UI visualisation library (not supported anymore, but we can somehow handle best effort for our own needs)
4- I’m mentioning intra/inter because one domain can have a BGP-LS session with a controller external to the domain.
    This is particularly interesting for example in France where RENATER is connected to ~ 40 regional networks.

This is just a mockup where all of the steps are done manually.
But this should be soon automated and it should land here in the long run: (Apology for the self publicity)
https://github.com/frederic-loui/peering-policy-manager

But basically topology will be acquired every minute for example() and made available from a REST flask server that would be able to server Next-UI based application.

Topology will be check from a baseline/reference and diff should be explicitly rendered.

But this is only the beginning, this app can be a home for BIER / RSVP TE / SR and POLKA as it is showed independently from Cisco Dev net:
https://github.com/NeXt-UI/next-tutorials/blob/master/tutorials/tutorial-000.md

Except that RARE/freeRtr will be here along side IOXR.

So please stay tuned !

All the best,
Frederic

PS1: If for any reason you want to join the effort feel free to ping us and we would love to have your feedback and potential contribution

PS2: Special KUDOS to Thomas MANGIN exaBGP maintainer and mc36 freeRtr maintainer for their BGP-LS tweaks !

  • [RARE-users] Dynamic Intra/Inter domain topology routing mockup, Frédéric LOUI, 11/15/2021