rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Socket connection between RARE/freeRtr VMs

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Socket connection between RARE/freeRtr VMs

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Edgard da Cunha Pontes <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Socket connection between RARE/freeRtr VMs
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:33:01 +0200

hi,

On 8/9/22 15:08, Edgard da Cunha Pontes wrote:

We're still figuring out what kind of overlay we'll use for these connections.
For now, we have tested: VXLan, GRE and Wireguard.
for raw ip tunneling, all of these should work, and could be exported to the
dataplanes...

And the idea of using PolKA to enable a "network service at the ends" came up.

so polka requires an ethertype to be distinguished as upper layer protocol,
and such, wireguard cannot do the job because that one cannot carry anything
but ip... vxlan could work, but when it comes to the dataplane exports, you'll
have to xconnect a hairpinX1 with vxlan between the two nodes, and do the
polka
on the hairpinX2...
on the other hand, gre can carry anything, including polka, even in the
dataplanes...

We are not sure which type of tunnel to use. Always making a
performance/safety/practical tradeoff...

for performance and mtu, gre is the best because it have the lowest overhead:
no udp layer at all, so the nodes don't have to deal with the outer udp
checksum,
just the outer ip checksum...

regarding security, you can always put macsec to the tunnel interface if it
can carry
an ethertype... it's not quite standard but heyy, if the ethertype is there,
then
nothing can stop freerouter and dataplane to do the encapsulation this way...
:)

br,
cs

Thanks again for your help.

Em seg., 8 de ago. de 2022 s 12:26, mc36 < <>>