rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Feqture request: use front-panel port IDs in freerouter

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Feqture request: use front-panel port IDs in freerouter

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Alexander Gall <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Feqture request: use front-panel port IDs in freerouter
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 11:51:03 +0100

if you have spare 10 minutes, what if i show you in a vc that how these tests
executed?
https://letsmeet.hu/alex

On 2/25/22 11:12, Alexander Gall wrote:
Hi

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:31:00 +0100, mc36 <> said:

still interesting questions....
so let's assume for now if we drop the portid thingy completely from the
export-port stanzas....
for this to happen, we have to use the sdn--portname mapping from the
dataplanes...
then p4lang server loses the possibility to validate the config before the
dataplane connects in....

Not sure what you mean. The ID is still there, either the way it is
now (physical port ID determined by the user) or replaced by a more
user-friendly identifier (e.g. "1/0" for the Tofino DP) which is
translated to the physical ID automatically. What kind of validation
is no longer possible?

right now i see it making life harder to test the dataplanes indepently..
right now i have several
dataplane vms that use portid0..3 and the tests written for them using the
portid mapping...
if we drop the portid stuff, it'll make testing almost impossible because
tofino reports X/0, bmv2 reports bmv2-portX, xdp reports xdp-portX,
p4pcap reports enoX, and p4dpdk reports 0000:0X.0...
so one cannot write a common test case for all the dataplanes....

You really lost me here since I'm not familiar with how your test
cases work. Can you please elaborate? I don't see how what I'm
proposing has any effect on this in case of the Tofino DP. The only
things that would change are

* The user can use meaningful names in "export-port" for physical
ports, e.g. "1/0"

* The user doesn't have to create "export-port" stanzas for
sub-interfaces explicitely

How would this change the output of your test cases?

the same issue will appear if you swap the p4pcap and p4dpdk dataplanes
on a physical box... (they are normally fully interchangeable!)

I agree that would be bad but I don't unserstand why this would
happen.

regarding subinterfaces and the dynamic port range, it's not impossible to
achieve,
the only missing part here is the dataplanes need to report the available
subinterface
id range they can accommodate without confusing them to physical port ids...

Correct, but that would actually be a good thing, IMHO. For example,
the counters for VLANs are currently arranged in an array indexed by
the number space shared by the pseudo-port and physical-port IDs but
only the indexes corresponding to pseudo-ports will ever be used. I.e
we're wasting hundreds of counters. What we should do is to define how
many VLANs we're supporting in the HW, which would determine how large
that array is and how many pseudo-ports freerouter can use to assign
to sub-interfaces for the Tofino DP.