geteduroam - Re: Problem with certificates generated

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the geteduroam service

Re: Problem with certificates generated

  • From: Darren Boss <Darren.Boss AT alliancecan.ca>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • Cc: "geteduroam AT lists.geant.org" <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: Problem with certificates generated
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:17:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=alliancecan.ca; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=alliancecan.ca; dkim=pass header.d=alliancecan.ca; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=z4jHWk8smz/kZ3XbJcnnheqHiIMTmazpsDWZ8FT5yL4=; b=YKQkFlHPiZpqzRqbP6shwZOc0zVCgLYrFcX4sgIaa1U9i3FEIrjSOBnQ/eGMtS8XiSHNRksxymTyhMfsRezfJqxFBco4/oq3EHHDkcGjTa32gxdKCwbZaYXXI75WTblCgutxz2WRTnBjEW37diZWB52GAyn4+AczG2CPhW2Uch0d80x7YAevQ9/aKG1UkaVY7PJRfIUu9ok7KhZnj5RCnYlOcsA7VClHZgm0jJxVM+t+N0CIq7clIPE4FqDWGOeXaNkirFpyZGf9FKnguLjOCGq67F5Uawe60po0FmRy7ttOFnbVi/hi1udJvYnQCt0nJBS3tS8bE334cFR8sxuxiw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=aO7V6eLJvthBy+4YGBDC/5eB4Nf9WMEN1PhNIE8d8dlA6n9LrBqIL8ub7V/20P7Xhi1hV2dKS/Zr9doK04BnIkTol42Bpwivxz+sEfDoqlUYLD+w+F4z0bvbSwDD9SM8mDSqzaZIo3tCdSVQnpUBMdI9VGdPo9fbtXEIXsgKKm2k8H+IfqQrvuB9VRE0fvFxvdqMquPzg76eSSoMkqIL3F+FotmvbIw9SPrZvXZ7+i2kNk+ikPb0gFwyZnP7gWePhl3cVpKg0ZGlm/WcFt/HLytaNs8j1qNloXAUHg1C29+K6p+hmirtmDtlwF0UQF0vz3+7ldyLu1+Qh2Ntndcojw==
  • Msip_labels:

I pulled an older Android device out of storage but the errors I'm seeing on the freeradius server are the same as on the newer Android 12 device. I'm not expecting anyone to debug my radius setup, just providing the debug output here in case it's relevant to the portal configuration or someone has encountered a similar issue:

(7) eap: Peer sent EAP Response (code 2) ID 151 length 13
(7) eap: No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP conversation
(7)     [eap] = updated
(7)   } # authorize = updated
(7) Found Auth-Type = eap
(7) # Executing group from file /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
(7)   authenticate {
(7) eap: Expiring EAP session with state 0xcaea98f1c87d95e7
(7) eap: Finished EAP session with state 0xcaea98f1c87d95e7
(7) eap: Previous EAP request found for state 0xcaea98f1c87d95e7, released from the list
(7) eap: Peer sent packet with method EAP TLS (13)
(7) eap: Calling submodule eap_tls to process data
(7) eap_tls: Continuing EAP-TLS
(7) eap_tls: [eaptls verify] = ok
(7) eap_tls: Done initial handshake
(7) eap_tls: <<< recv TLS 1.2  [length 0002]
(7) eap_tls: ERROR: TLS Alert read:fatal:internal error
(7) eap_tls: TLS_accept: Need to read more data: error
(7) eap_tls: ERROR: Failed in __FUNCTION__ (SSL_read): error:14094438:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert internal error
(7) eap_tls: TLS - In Handshake Phase
(7) eap_tls: TLS - Application data.
(7) eap_tls: ERROR: TLS failed during operation
(7) eap_tls: ERROR: [eaptls process] = fail
(7) eap: ERROR: Failed continuing EAP TLS (13) session.  EAP sub-module failed

I find debugging Radius issues quite challenging because I work with radius very frequently. This is all non-production so I can make sweeping changes to the radius configuration. I followed the guide at https://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/eduroam and I was also responsible for another organization's eduroam radius server which was and still is working but using EAP-PEAP with OpenLDAP. This time I'm quite determined to do EAP-TLS with the portal app using SAML auth to Azure AD IdP.
mods-available/eap eap { # The initial EAP type requested. Change this to peap if you're # using peap, or tls if you're using EAP-TLS. default_eap_type = ttls # The maximum time an EAP-Session can continue for timer_expire = 60 # The maximum number of ongoing EAP sessions max_sessions = ${max_requests} tls-config tls-common { # The public certificate that your server will present certificate ...
wiki.freeradius.org

Darren Boss (he/him)

Senior Programmer | Développeur Sénior

     343-341-2323