geteduroam - new Android beta-version

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the geteduroam service

new Android beta-version

  • From: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • To: "geteduroam AT lists.geant.org" <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: Jørn Åne de Jong <jornane.dejong AT surf.nl>
  • Subject: new Android beta-version
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 18:05:59 +0100
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none; dkim=none; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=nPK2Rxk2KV/bIzZg88qyMTu3JK0M0/gD80ND7dnMlyQ=; b=gBFQD0BVcdBXk+AKUoVrQKok9wzxUycWRh5IZ7QPAosJIgNAebsF81n6OSOoh2zWxZVcAsLkQhIxxyWiwfX5WqZXRE/JYgL15PrHLxVWXgw6TgNm4B69PLlP+7iZOA1vU6r5GLD/vUlVHQDOfMddVrOwu6KVQ8HrxFS0Qee2ZmrGxiNKx2jGiufGjgfT99DiF87fT5zdoE06MOqfOKClB2PZF2Wd+AwJybMGYlqGQv0wYuajplLH76BVwMjHsR+XN+2w8J6Fhsm5DJCblfHLYz8D0EzmeIneNuALkwXJhgRDK9+GDiWINIZ5TC/jsGnXkew66waIoAt/wuBeWDQ4mw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=TW2LC4NqcZGwiaD2VH/fB4EIkFyoSTtxR0Tm6FTrVVWpx/8YaAYDPRh5TJisohkHcPcJXMsNypbj6vglast/Ek7E1wyUQ1n0dj/CS5XbOBEAUDSQHPTnstMrosGTqgP4kF00nWSRSqMWlRGnkk46K0faayOZHL5VDQMb/ahlLFMfOEjuuiyH75S7em6ach11Umtsov9xEVXZJZuzkxwx4ldK6jPPONFUETNZWlz1gMhXPzwiKZVsR+/j9VTaOeIdWbtvYvU6ha76oe1ATCq7u3wbZ7GPPezww8g2sZM9gVFI5MFT4ZAsxO9wJGsbcdx+SJU0xYAEwTXCv7t4AC0xUQ==

Hi geteduroam-list,

We now published version 1.0.23 for Android in the open-beta/testing channel of the Play Store.

Please test it if you can! Both positive and negative feedback is really welcome.

As a reminder, this beta can be joined from Android using:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.eduroam.geteduroam
or the web via:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/app.eduroam.geteduroam

This version is an upgrade for 1.0.20 that was previously in beta. Only devices with Android 11+ should get version 1.0.23, the older devices should still see 1.0.16.

The previous 1.0.20 version installed subscriptions to the eduroam SSID and Passpoint networks, which has a few downsides. First of all, if there are any user defined networks: it will try those first. Also, if you have a user-configured eduroam network, also if you have a different hotspot, thethering, lab network or Starbucks nearby. If a user would notice and click eduroam, the network may even appear unconfigured, while it was actually managed by geteduroam.

That's why we switched to a new API available from Android 11 on, that installs the SSID "as if a user did it". This comes more natural, but has the downside we cannot modify it afterwards: we cannot remove it, but we can overwrite it when the app runs again. Despite, we feel this is the better aproach.

This new 1.0.23 release also adds some languages, and in comparison with 1.0.16 fixes the fact that the App registered itself as destination for all mime-types.

We really need to have a good feeling about this version, because once we release it, we cannot ever again (!) go back to the old/current production behavior of Android 11+

Regards,
Paul and Jørn

P.S. If you think you liked the old behavior better, or are curious about it: it's still available in "getgovroam" ;-) and you could download an .eap-config and load it there.

  • new Android beta-version, Paul Dekkers, 02/11/2022