edugain-policy-comments - [edugain-policy-comments] Comments on the eduGAIN Declaration draft

edugain-policy-comments AT lists.geant.org

Subject: edugain policy comments

[edugain-policy-comments] Comments on the eduGAIN Declaration draft

  • From: Thomas Lenggenhager <lenggenhager AT switch.ch>
  • To: edugain-policy-comments AT geant.net
  • Subject: [edugain-policy-comments] Comments on the eduGAIN Declaration draft
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:15:07 +0200

Here my comments on the draft declaration from 1 July 2010.

Regards,
Thomas

Instead of 'Federation A' used several times in the declaration, better
use the term 'FEDERATION' in capital letters which you define at the top
of the document as short name for the Federation on which behalf an NREN
signs this declaration.
Not many federations will be able to sign on its own behalf since they
have no separate legal standing.

line 27-28:
The term 'member' is NOT defined in this context. Isn't 'institution' or
'organization' more appropriate?
E.g. in the SWITCHaai federation we have federation partners, which are
NOT members. They operate SPs which could be eligible for
interfederation as well.

line 30-32:
instead of 'members' use here 'Entities'.

line 34-35:
The reference to 'inform other Participating Federations promptly'
implies that I have to actively inform all other federations promptly on
changes. However, the changed information gets promptly published at a
well known location. eduGAIN and others must fetch it from there. I can
not influence how promptly they do it.

line 37-38:
The same as above. No direct information of participating federations.

line 44:
A reference should point to where 'eduGAIN’s basic level of trust' gets
defined.

line 47:
Replace 'member' with 'Entity'.

line 51-54:
Replace twice 'member' with 'Entity'.

line 57:
Replace 'members' with 'Entities'.

line 60:
Replace 'membership' with 'participation'.

line 61:
Replace 'members' with 'Entities'.

line 68:
Replace twice 'members' with 'Entities'.

line 70:
Replace 'members' with 'Entities'.
Here suddenly the term 'eduGAIN Operations Team' shows up which was not
mentioned beforehand. Shouldn't it also be mentioned in 5) regarding
validity and the publishing process and in 6) regarding the assistance a
federation has to provide?

Regards,
Thomas

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities

  • [edugain-policy-comments] Comments on the eduGAIN Declaration draft, Thomas Lenggenhager, 08/25/2010