edugain-policy-comments - [edugain-policy-comments] FW: [edugain] eduGAIN policy available for commenting

edugain-policy-comments AT lists.geant.org

Subject: edugain policy comments

[edugain-policy-comments] FW: [edugain] eduGAIN policy available for commenting

  • From: Mikael Linden <Mikael.Linden AT csc.fi>
  • To: "edugain-policy-comments AT geant.net" <edugain-policy-comments AT geant.net>
  • Subject: [edugain-policy-comments] FW: [edugain] eduGAIN policy available for commenting
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:48:26 +0300
  • Accept-language: en-US, fi-FI
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, fi-FI

-----Original Message-----
From: Diego R. Lopez
[mailto:diego.lopez AT rediris.es]

Sent: 7. heinäkuuta 2010 09:02
To:
edugain AT geant.net
Cc:
edugain-policy AT geant.net

Hi,

On 5 Jul 2010, at 15:12, Mikael Linden wrote:
> Everyone is encouraged to fill in his/her comments to the document
> template in the website and submit them to
> edugain-policy-comments AT geant.net
>
> no later than 1st of September, 2010. To ensure transparency of the
> procedure, eduGAIN policy subtask will publish the comments and its
> resolutions.

A few comments on different aspects:

1) I think that adding bullets or other marks to many of the lists
(like those describing requirements
or the responsibilities of NRENPC/TSG/OT) would improve their
readability

2) I find the statement under "Attribute Profile" too strict, as it
can be read as a requirement to
specify syntax and semantics for *all* attributes suitable to be
exchanged between eduGAIN-registered
IdPs and SPs. I'd propose a more lightweight approach, in the
spirit of the following text:
"To promote interoperability, it is important that Home
Organisations and Service Providers have a
common definition of the basic attributes exchanged in eduGAIN.
This covers both the syntax and
semantics, including the vocabularies. A listing of these
attributes and a common definition for
them will be covered in the Policy."

3) In the question about "common name" and "display name" I see no
harm in recommendig both. CN is the
most applications would use to identify an individual (as per
logging purposes and individual access
rights, for example) and therefore subject to certain common
standards in what relates to national
characters and structure, while DisplayName is related to how it
should appear in UIs, with no
restriction other than the user's wishes.

4) While I acknowledge that the text describing the vocabularies for
eduPersonAffiliation are product
of a long discussion and (rough) consensus, I'd like to stress the
fact that the current version does
not provide a way to identify members of an organization not being
faculty or students...

5) Should not the metadata profile include the technical requirements
on metadata made by the data protection
profile, or at least mention it?

Be goode,

Dr Diego R. Lopez

Red.es - RedIRIS
The Spanish NREN

e-mail:
diego.lopez AT rediris.es
jid:
diego.lopez AT rediris.es
Tel: +34 955 056 621
Mobile: +34 669 898 094

  • [edugain-policy-comments] FW: [edugain] eduGAIN policy available for commenting, Mikael Linden, 07/07/2010