edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] HSM use cases

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] HSM use cases

  • From: Joost van Dijk <joost.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • To: Alan Lewis <alan.lewis AT geant.org>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] HSM use cases
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 09:52:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

Hi Alan,

Some quick notes on the HSM use cases for SURFnet:

- DNSsec: We use Utimaco CryptoServer HSMs for our DNSsec signers (migrated from Safenet Luna HSMs). They manage ECDSA P.256 keys for each zone (about 2k zones).
- SAML metadata signing: We use separate slots on the same Utimaco HSMs to sign SURFconext metadata, currently 24 streams (48MB) updated on an hourly basis).
- eduroam CAT: We use a separate slot on the same Utimaco HSMs for EV Code signing. FIPS is relevant here as Digicert requires the key to be non-exportable.
- PEP: A separate set of Utimaco HSMs are used for implementing the key server component for the PEP project (pep.cs.ru.nl). These run custom firmware implementing polymorphic encryption and pseudonymisation based on Ed25519 (initially unsupported on these HSMs).

Apart from our production experiences with Safenet and Utimaco, we have somewhat tested Yubico HSMs and the Cryptech alpha board from CrowdSupply.  Both are interesting because of their lower prices compared to Safenet and Utimaco, but we haven’t evaluated their performance. Note that none of the use cases above have high performance requirements.

For the PEP project performance is more relevant for other components, which currently do not use HSMs because of problematic performance on the Utimaco HSMs. A student from Radboud University worked on an FPGA-implementation of Ed25519 on the Cryptech HSM, which I find particularly interesting but I haven’t heard back of any results yet.

Cheers,
Joost van Dijk
SURFnet