edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Zambia/FIDERN for eduGAIN membership

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Zambia/FIDERN for eduGAIN membership

  • From: Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Nosiku Sikanyika <nosiku.sikanyika AT zamren.zm>
  • Cc: Brook Schofield <brook.schofield AT geant.org>, info <info AT fidern.ac.zm>, Stein Mkandawire <mkandaws AT zamren.zm>, edugain-discuss <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Zambia/FIDERN for eduGAIN membership
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:44:01 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Nosiku,

For the first item, I would expect to see documentation about use of
signing and encryption certificates in IdP and SP metadata, for example
recommendation of publication of IdP public keys with use="signing", or
no use= attribute, in the IdPSSO KeyDescriptor. For SPs, I'd make a
recommendation to publish a KeyDescriptor with no use= (so, both signing
and encryption) or two separate KeyDescriptors, if you want people to
use separate signing and encryption keys. Those would have use="signing"
and use="encryption" in the KeyDescriptors.

InCommon's documentation on this is at:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/InCFederation/X.509+Certificates+in+Metadata

You should sign your metadata with a highly protected private key, and
publish the metadata signing key somewhere where your users can download
it, with instructions on how to configure their deployments to verify
the signature on your metadata. InCommon's documentation on metadata
refresh and signature verification is at:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/InCFederation/Metadata+Consumption

For the second item, you should have some way of vetting the domains
used in entityIDs and shibmd:Scope (the latter applies only to
IDPSSODescriptors and AttributeAuthorityDescriptors), to ensure that
they are not misused by an unauthorized party. In the case of entityIDs,
this could cause collisions in metadata. In the case of shibmd:Scope, it
could result in an IdP asserting identities that do not belong to it.

InCommon's documentation on domains in metadata is available at:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/inctac/Domains+in+IdP+Metadata

Please let me know if you have other questions or would like to discuss
any of these items (or anything else about federation policy, metadata,
etc) further.

Best,

Nick