edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership

  • From: Rhys Smith <Rhys.Smith AT jisc.ac.uk>
  • To: Brook Schofield <brook.schofield AT geant.org>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>, "info AT omren.om" <info AT omren.om>, Musallam Al Farsi <Musallam AT omren.om>, Warda al Habsi <warda AT omren.om>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:27:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Some feedback from me (I haven’t read any else’s comments yet, by the way, so
may repeat):

MDRPS:

* A MDRPS identifier of "https://fed.omren.om” doesn’t allow for versioning,
suggest each version of the MDRPS has a unique identifier to allow new
versions to be created and managed.

* Section 5 - you probably want to get rid of “Example Wording”

* Section 5.1 - you might want to enumerate other ways when DNS WHOIS isn’t
sufficient, e.g. demonstrating technical control of a domain.

* Section 5.1 - you mention checking DNS for use in entityIDs, but not in
Scopes - you need to do the same checking for scopes.

* Section 6.1 - Communication of change happens via (e-mail, Federation
registry tool etc.) - think you forgot to finish that one.

Policy:

* Section 3.1 has an unknown symbol in the doc, after "Address financing of
the Federation”

* Section 3.2 mentions "OMAN KID”, this is defined nowhere. What is it?

* Section 3.2 mentions suspending Technology Profiles without any other bit
of the documentation defining any technology profiles.

* Section 5.2, you might want to give a minimum notice period for yourself to
withdraw the federation so as to give confidence to your participants.

Best,
Rhys.
--
Dr Rhys Smith
Chief Technical Architect, Trust & Identity

T: +44 (0) 1235 822145
M: +44 (0) 7968 087821
Skype: rhys-smith
GPG: 0x4638C985
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0SG

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.