edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduPersonTargetedID depricated form

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduPersonTargetedID depricated form

  • From: Dick Visser <dick.visser AT geant.org>
  • To: Dubravko Voncina <dubravko.voncina AT srce.hr>
  • Cc: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>, edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduPersonTargetedID depricated form
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 16:56:25 +0200

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm in a similar, but opposite
position right now.
Our SP that is published in eduGAIN (entityID "https://terena.org/sp";)
currently accepts both ePTID formats from IdPs.
My intention is to upgrade the SimpleSAMLphp instance on it, but the
new one only accepts an XML formatted ePTID.
If there are any IdPs out there that do *not* use this, then things break.
I've asked around in the eduGAIN slack channel and the consensus is
that this *should not* matter because (as you mentioned) the "string
formatted" ePTID is deprecated/illegal.

But as the OP indicates, it actually does still exist.

My problem is that I will be perceived to be breaking things when I upgrade.
As usual the end user is left in the cold, as the service suddenly is
inaccessible, with no way for them to fix it.
In fact, I think I'd have a hard time trying to persuade a large
institution's IdP admin to change their config at all (if that is my
task, anyway).

"Everything worked fine until you upgraded your SP"

I guess I need to know which of the IdPs that are being used to access
our SP are doing "deprecated/illegal" things....

Dick

--
Dick Visser
Trust & Identity Service Operations Manager

GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered with the Chamber of
Commerce in Amsterdam with registration number 40535155 and operates
in the UK as a branch of GÉANT Vereniging. Registered office:
Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands. UK branch address:
City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.

Want to join us? We're hiring: https://www.geant.org/jobs