edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Russia/RUNNet AAI for eduGAIN membership

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Russia/RUNNet AAI for eduGAIN membership

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT myunidays.com>, Guy Halse <guy AT tenet.ac.za>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Russia/RUNNet AAI for eduGAIN membership
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:41:02 +0100

* Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT myunidays.com> [2018-03-15 14:07]:
> some federations already require SPs to sign their requests to IdPs
> due to national law.

That's *not* the issue here -- IDPs should always sign and SPs only
risk opening themselfs up to trivial DoS attacks by signing, so sign
away!
The issue is with mandating that entities reject any unsigned
requests. *That* will make RUNNet IDPs non-interoperable with +90% of
known SAML SPs. (Wild guess, fee free to do the actual numbers.)

(I still doubt there's national law that prevents SAML WebSSO to be
used with relying on SAML 2.0 Metadata to verify requested ACS
endpoint URLs, but whatever. Not the issue here.)

> use eduPerson ones if they exist, use schac ones if they exist..if
> neither exists, work to getting such created (in whatever space) but
> don't just make ones up.

While I have not felt the need to do so myself there's nothing agains
making up your own local schema where you have unique local needs.
But you can't (should not, for specifics we'd have to dive into formal
attribute names vs. friendlyNames) make up your own attributes in
someone else's namespace, e.g. eduPersonWhateverNotInEduPerson.

* Guy Halse <guy AT tenet.ac.za> [2018-03-15 14:34]:
> * It seems that a search was done for "Identity Federation" and
> RUNNetAAI inserted where it appeared. There are some places where
> this doesn't make sense, for example in the first paragraph of the
> Introduction where the broad concept of a federation is introduced.

Note that we've conciously written the federation policy template in a
way that you would only need to replace that in once place, defining
"the Federation" to mean your federation in the rest of the document.
(The comment above may apply to a different document, though, which
points at the diverse and scattered history of all those documents:
federation policy, technology profile/s, registration practice
statements, etc. It's not at all impossible we could move all of these
to a common editing schema, using consistent terminology, etc., but
knowing who is the most likely person to be tasked with such an effort
I guess we can agree that N. has more important things to do. :)

-peter