edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

  • From: Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie>
  • To: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:13:13 +0000

>> Also, we’ve been studying the pattern of access to publishers for
>> off-campus users at two Edugate institutions. Edugate accounts for
>> up to 40% of sessions when compared with sessions delivered via the
>> institutions library systems (i.e. proxy). I believe that quoting
>> this figure is helping convince publishers to take action, while at
>> the same time convincing librarians to make sure their Edugate IdP
>> is working with each publisher.
>
> Thanks for sharing, I'm not sure at all how any of this relates to the
> mail/thread you're replying to, the one where I asked about how we as
> a community wanted to deal with especially publishers when it comes to
> eduGAIN.

We as a community should have a solid business case to convince publishers to
do what we feel will improve usage of federated access to publishers.
More authentications through better support for federated login lowers to
cost per article; the metric of value used by library consortiums and
individual libraries.
Competitors with good federated login support (i.e. one that leverages
eduGAIN, publishes attribute requirements, has good discovery etc.) will have
a lower cost per article.

Glenn