cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Renewing FreeRADIUS server certs with the same key as prior cert

Re: [[cat-users]] Renewing FreeRADIUS server certs with the same key as prior cert

  • From: Martin Stanislav <ms AT uakom.sk>
  • To: Florian Lengyel <Florian.Lengyel AT cuny.edu>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>, Jonathan Frost <Jonathan.Frost AT cuny.edu>, Anna Wong <Anna.Wong AT cuny.edu>, Mark Manis <Mark.Manis AT cuny.edu>, Arthur Ecock <Arty.Ecock AT cuny.edu>, Agustin Ferrer <Agustin.Ferrer AT cuny.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Renewing FreeRADIUS server certs with the same key as prior cert
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 20:59:54 +0200

Hi Florian,

I suppose you are about to renew an EAP server certificate that is deployed
on CUNY RADIUS servers. In fact, it doesn't matter whether you keep
the old key pair or you decide to create a new key pair (wrt trust).
eduroam config profile published for CUNY on the eduroam CAT portal
will work as long as the chain of trust this profile contains covers
EAP server certificate deployed on CUNY RADIUS servers.
The same applies for the expected server name (as present in
the profile vs in a deployed X.509 certificate).

Also the clients (802.1X supplicants) have to be provisioned in accord
with the concerned CUNY profile published on eduroam CAT portal,
e.g. geteduroam will use published profile to provision a client device.

There is more info wrt EAP server certificate on the GÉANT wiki [1].

Kind regards,
Martin

[1]
https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+considerations