cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam cat

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam cat

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Simon Burgess <s.burgess AT worc.ac.uk>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam cat
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:09:19 +0200

Hello!

Hi There,

I need answer to a couple of questions please:

Is it possible with the tool to recommend or better still block random mac address as this causes issues with our dhcp servers overloading?

This is not configurable, for several reasons. For one, the technical/UI side: on some operating systems configuring this will trigger feel-bad UI, telling the user that the network is neglecting privacy; other operating systems don't allow configuring this at all.

For two, the actual user experience: changing this value is only possible globally (for all eduroam hotspots world-wide), so will compromise privacy across all of eduroam. Solving a single hotspot's operational problem at the expense of reducing global user privacy is a terrible trade-off.

It sounds like there is an issue with your DHCP server. A better way to tackle the issue is by working on the DHCP server - shorter lease times? Software updates?

We are updating our public certificate  tonight do we need to do anything?

Assuming your certificate chain configuration in CAT and end-user devices is correct, merely renewing the server certificate does not make any difference. Issues start coming when you change either the server name in the certificate, or roll over to a new trust root (root CA).

Considering your tight timing for the question, chances are good that you've already found out by the time I write this.

This email may contain information for limited distribution only, please treat accordingly.

Fondation Restena, Stefan WINTER
Chief Technology Officer
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette