cat-users - [[cat-users]] CAT 2.1: OpenRoaming functionality description

[[cat-users]] CAT 2.1: OpenRoaming functionality description

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>, cat-announce AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] CAT 2.1: OpenRoaming functionality description
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:21:49 +0200

Hello,

Tomasz already teased about OpenRoaming support for the CAT 2.1 release we have rolled out minutes ago.

So here is a slightly more elaborate description. Forgive me for not repeating everything inline and providing pointers to the background instead:

General info

===========

* OpenRoaming is a WPA-Enterprise based Wi-Fi roaming consortium, with its own governance under the umbrella of Wireless Broadband Alliance, on no specific SSID - it is based on Wi-Fi Certified Passpoint functionality for network discovery: https://wballiance.com/openroaming/

* OpenRoaming is not education specific, and not all hotspots are free-to-use. eduroam is a member of OpenRoaming to enable eduroam Identity Providers (and their users) to use the slice of OpenRoaming hotspots which *are* free-to-use, and which do *not* solicit personal information about the users from the IdPs. NROs should read our information page here: https://eduroam.org/openroaming-and-eduroam-useful-information-for-eduroam-national-roaming-operators-nros/ and concerned end users should read the information here: https://eduroam.org/eduroam-openroaming-end-user-information/

* Educational institutions with an interest in OpenRoaming are invited to use our OpenRoaming -> eduroam proxy and CAT configuration services which makes the sign-up easy (but not effort-free). They can of course also decide not to make use of our eduroam integration services and sign up to OpenRoaming with any other provider of OpenRoaming services. IdPs may want to read our information page here: https://eduroam.org/openroaming-and-eduroam-useful-information-for-eduroam-identity-providers-and-service-providers/

If you have read all this, and don't want to integrate with OpenRoaming, then you can stop reading here - all of the integrations we have in CAT 2.1 are strictly opt-in, and if you do nothing, you will get only the "traditional" eduroam installers.

CAT and OpenRoaming

==============

Since you are still reading, here is what we can do for you in CAT.

NROs

--------

On first tenancy level: the NRO has the ability to decide whether the IdPs in their country or region should see the OpenRoaming functionality in CAT at all. Since this is opt-in, as an NRO you need to take action once to enable the feature. This is done by adding the checkbox "OpenRoaming: Enable organisation opt-in" in your NRO properties. The CAT manual for NROs has been updated to include this in some more detail, see https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/A+guide+to+eduroam+CAT+2.0+and+eduroam+Managed+IdP+for+National+Roaming+Operator+administrators#AguidetoeduroamCAT2.0andeduroamManagedIdPforNationalRoamingOperatoradministrators-NROProperties

IdPs

------

On the IdP tenancy level, OpenRoaming has to be turned on (there are four variants to choose from) and the realm checks can be used to verify that the required DNS settings for the IdP's realm are correct. Please see here for details: https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/A+guide+to+eduroam+CAT+for+IdP+administrators#AguidetoeduroamCATforIdPadministrators-Optional:OpenRoamingsupport

End Users

--------------

These are of course our most important stakeholders - but they are also those who are least subjected to the complexities of OpenRoaming setup (just like it should be).

Depending on the choices their NRO and IdP made, they will get either one download button or two download buttons, and possibly a checkbox to tick for "I agree to the OpenRoaming Terms and Conditions". There is no specific documentation targeted at end users - all the resulting choices are explained in the IdP manual, as per the link above.

Final Words

=======

This is the first release with OpenRoaming support. There are some known limitations, be it in CAT code or device manufactorer capabilities, and there are only comparatively few OpenRoaming hotspots (you are, after all, spoiled by the vast outreach we have in eduroam), and not everything will work smoothly on day one. Please keep this in mind; e.g. you may want to set up a dedicated profile for testing out all those features before releasing it to your full main audience.

Please do not take the "tick the box" OpenRoaming Terms and Conditions lightly. OpenRoaming is an entirely different and independent roaming consortium; which merely happens to nicely overlap with eduroam Operations on a technical level. So, while we do our best to exploit the technical similarities to make integration easy for you if you so wish - primarily, it still is a conscious decision to make on non-technical level whether you want to integrate with OpenRoaming or not.

This email may contain information for limited distribution only, please
treat accordingly.

Fondation Restena, Stefan WINTER
Chief Technology Officer
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette

  • [[cat-users]] CAT 2.1: OpenRoaming functionality description, Stefan Winter, 08/19/2022