cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID

Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:38:55 +0100

Am 26.03.21 um 16:21 schrieb Stephen Rasmussen:
FWIW, we are a Cisco wireless shop and our RADIUS server is Cisco
ISE, if that has any bearing on the direction I should go. If any of
you would care to share briefly how your onboarding process works as
far as how you get your users to the CAT tool, that would be great.

We use the Captive Portal option in the Cisco WLC, for two purposes:
1. We temporarily activate the our guest SSID for large meetings in the
respective place/building.
2. We permanently run the guest SSID in two helpdesk places

Authentication is against our local userbase is always required,
but the Captive Portal will issue a simple, non-EAP RADIUS request, of course,
and the WiFi will not be encrypted.

Setting up this Captive Portal is a pain in the ass, you have to tweak some
tar file.
But once it works, it does help to get those SIM-less devices online.
Apart from that, we have equipped our helpdesk with USB-OTG connectors so you
could
at least get the RootCert (and sometimes .apk) onto tricky Android devices.

That said, the SIM-less iPads do need an onboarding network so far;
I woul be interested to hear if geteduroam can acces its own, perhaps
pre-loaded
.eap-config file on an iPad.

Cheers, Martin
--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994