cat-users - [[cat-users]] Connecting our fluidlab to eduroam

[[cat-users]] Connecting our fluidlab to eduroam

  • From: Daniel Hammer <daniel.hammer AT anvajo.com>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Connecting our fluidlab to eduroam
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:45:55 +0200

Dear Sir or Madam,

we are a big fan of eduroam (speaking for the whole anvajo team) and would like to bring the ability to connect to eduroam wifi to one of our products, the anvajo fluidlab - a miniature cell counter and spectrometer primarily used by scientific users in research institutes as well as students. The ability to easily connect to the internet for getting system updates and enabling the sharing of results data would be very beneficial for the scientific user community.

The feature we intended to realize can be described like that:
  • user (scientist) gets a new fluidlab and wants to perform a software update. the user only has eduroam wifi available, and never connected the device to an open wifi before. There is no other wifi but eduroam available.
  • user uses GUI of the device to select a wifi, in this case an "eduroam"
  • device recognizes "eduroam network!" and shows a specific screen
  • user is asked to input organization name
  • device has a locally stored table of organization specific eduroam network details and certificates which was downloaded from via the eduroam API during manufacturing of the device
  • device is now selecting the network details corresponding to the user input and connects to the eduroam wifi
  • if the device cant connect, because the network details and certificate was outdated, the user is asked to connect the device to a different "normal" wifi, that allows downloading/updating of organization specific eduroam network details and certificates

Questions:
  1. Are there any license / legal issues with that approach?
  2. Is this a valid approach from your point of view? Do you have recommendations / white papers of how to implement that in the best way? The device has a linux based operating system (debian).

Would be great to get your feedback on that topic. Looking forward to your reply.

Best

Daniel Hammer
CTO

anvajo GmbH

Zwickauer Str. 46

01069 Dresden

E-Mail: daniel.hammer AT anvajo.com
Tel.:  +49 (0) 351 85478400
Web: anvajo.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft Dresden // Registergericht Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 35616
Geschäftsführer Stefan Fraedrich, Hans-Gert Stuke, Daniel Hammer

  • [[cat-users]] Connecting our fluidlab to eduroam, Daniel Hammer, 10/23/2020