cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Multiple certs in eduroam CAT

Re: [[cat-users]] Multiple certs in eduroam CAT

  • From: Robert Franklin <rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Stefan Paetow <Stefan.Paetow AT jisc.ac.uk>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Multiple certs in eduroam CAT
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 14:01:37 +0100

Hello,

> On 10 Sep 2019, at 13:38, Stefan Paetow <Stefan.Paetow AT jisc.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Apologies if the question has been asked before (I've searched the archives
> and only found one instance from April this year that doesn't really answer
> the question): One of our institutions has to update its RADIUS
> certificates (including CA root), and as such, they now need to update
> their CAT tool to include both sets of certificates to allow for a smooth
> transition.
>
> Does CAT support this? If yes, that's good and I'll have to look at the
> interface (I don't have any organisations in CAT to look), if no, what is
> the advice for this scenario?
>
> I'd usually ask my colleague who's been around eduroam a lot longer (you
> know him ;)), but he's on leave, so I'm frantically paddling in deep water
> with this one ;-)
>
> Thanks very much in advance.

We plan to do this by setting up a new certificate in advance and allowing
the supplicant device to select the new one by using a new outer identity.
Once the new one is set up, we tell people to install the CAT again to switch
over, during an overlap period. It's described here:

https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/service/wi-fi/other#server-selection

... one advantage of this solution over using multiple certs in the CAT
because you can tell how the supplicant device is configured (and who hasn't
updated).

I say "plan" because we brought this system in at the start of the year and
haven't tried a rollover with it, yet! However, it works with the two
options we've set up so far.

- Bob

--
Bob Franklin rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk / (+44 1223 7) 48479
Networks, University Information Services, University of Cambridge