cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] connect failure with Win10 CAT installed profile

Re: [[cat-users]] connect failure with Win10 CAT installed profile

  • From: IAM David Bantz <dabantz AT alaska.edu>
  • To: stefan.winter AT restena.lu
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] connect failure with Win10 CAT installed profile
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 12:29:15 -0800

I've received a response to the Win10/AddTrust analysis from our team lead deploying new infrastructure:

We obviously don’t have control over external CA’s processes at all, or operating system certificate trust stores, and the only resolution would be to use an alternative (non UAF standard) certificate issue process from another CA entirely.....We have established is that a non-CAT assisted connection from Win10 operates as expected and we just reconfirmed this as well.  From our perspective, this is an issue that will need to be resolved via the CAT tool since it appears to be specific to CAT’s ability to process certificates and the stated issue does not impact the ability for Win10 machines to join the network without CAT.

and my reply:
No one's saying the certificate chain in ISE is "wrong" or needs to be changed. What is being claimed is that an intermediate certificate in that chain may be viewed/trusted as root CA by the Windows supplicants [because it has been issued as a self-signed root CA in the past and may have root trust in the client's trusted certificate store], and that in turn causes the supplicant to incorrectly not trust the server certificate. [We've NOT determined that that is the issue we encountered, but the limited evidence points in that direction.]

CAT does not process or validate certificates or signatures. The supplicant does. The CAT installer adds exactly the root CA we designate; the profile installed requires the server cert presented to the supplicant to be trusted by verifying the trust chain ending in that root CA we designated and the CAT installer downloaded to the client. This is what the eduroam folks call "locking down" the eduroam configuration to our authentication servers. When a different (now intermediate) rootCA is also a trusted root in the client store, the chain - from Windows client standpoint - does not properly terminate in the root CA we designated in the profile; thus the supplicant refuses to talk further, as intended. That is the suggested, plausible, but not verified analysis.

The fact that we can connect to the wireless network by simply providing UA credentials means the Win native supplicant (like others) can connect without the additional security the CAT profiles provide by forcing validation of certificate-based trust to the specific root CA we designate. That native supplicant configuration is evidently more "open" to validate a server certificate chain ending in ANY trusted root CA; that in turn allows some additional attack surface for servers impersonating our ISEs. Opinions will vary on whether that simple native config is "good enough" as is, needs to generate a caution to users, or needs to be resolved in some fashion.

 This triggers my follow-up questions:

Is my restatement of the issue above more or less correct, or importantly incorrect?

What work-around(s) can we propose for Windows clients?
Would adding a second rootCA in the configuration (the one now used as intermediate) enable the Win supplicant to trust the server cert chain?
(and what would be the impact on Android clients said somewhere to require only a single root CA in the profile)

How are other institutions getting around this issue? In my scan for Universities' eduroam onboading documentation I saw a couple emphasize strongly that Windows be fully updated / patched before running the CAT installers; is that in some way related and a mitigation of this problem?

Thank you for ongoing insight and assistance.

David Bantz
U Alaska