cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Support F-Droid

Re: [[cat-users]] Support F-Droid

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Cc: eduroam AT dfn.de
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Support F-Droid
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 10:58:39 +0200

Hi,

Am 01.09.2018 um 19:44 schrieb Robert Grätz:
I have a question. Why isn't the app "eduroam CAT" available at F-Droid?
And are there any plans to offer the app at F-Droid soon?

well, you have the direct download from
https://cat.eduroam.de/eduroamCAT-stable.apk or
https://cat.eduroam.org/eduroamCAT-stable.apk
available. As it turns out, the two files currently differ.
I'm having trouble running aapt or similar to quickly determine both versions,
but I suspect one of these missed an update?

Once this inconsistency will be fixed, two questions remain:
1. Is this direct download opportunity visibly linked somewhere?
I have not found it on the CAT pages, but to my mind it should be there,
along with some hash value to enable users to verify their manual downloads
We link it here:
https://www.uni-marburg.de/hrz/internet/wlan-en/tutorials/android-os/installation-of-eduroam-cat
I've seen others do the same.

2. Robert's qestion: What about F-Droid?
To my mind, F-Droid is not essential as long as the direct download works
well,
but would be really nice to have.

And OT: Direct download has proven relly nice for local install (e.g. with
USB Stick on USB-OTG).
But you may have a hard time to get the config in, because Android often
won't respond to tipping
the .eapconfig file. Ayres (the developer) has inserted an "Open Config File"
dialog for that.
So it is now entirely possible to securely configure a device for eduroam
before it even hits
the net. IMO, this should be advertised along with a verifiable direct
download.

Cheers, Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994