cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Certificate validation

Re: [[cat-users]] Certificate validation

  • From: Ruben Vestergaard <rubenv AT drcmr.dk>
  • To: Jørn Åne <jorn.dejong AT uninett.no>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Certificate validation
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:08:48 +0100

On Mon, Jan 22 2018 at 11:54:34 +0100, Jørn Åne wrote:
I think you get some certificate screen on macOS and iOS, but it's
easily dismissed by users. At least it remembers the certificate, so
the next time you connect to eduroam it knows not to ask you but just
trust it (since you already accepted it earlier).

You're right, a warning is displayed the first time you connect. I'm guesing that this installs the certificate into some trust store, which will result in another (easily dismissable :)) warning if an access point presenting a different certificate is encountered.

They could certainly make improvements to the UI, but the trust problem
is not that easy to solve.

Absolutely. And the novice was enlightened.

Thanks again!

Ruben