cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] FW: eduroam CAT authentication (Ref:IN:00216824)

Re: [[cat-users]] FW: eduroam CAT authentication (Ref:IN:00216824)

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT gmail.com>, eduroam CAT Feedback <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] FW: eduroam CAT authentication (Ref:IN:00216824)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:48:53 +0200

Hi,

> eduroamCAT only supports particular (ie recent) versions of Android.
> So long as the devices not working match that requirement, then the
> common cause
> of problem is that your Android devices dont have the require
> intermediate certs installed - the eduroamCAT tool will installs the
> root cert (if its not present)
> but your RADIUS server SHOULD be sending the entire chain (local cert,
> intermediates) and not just the local cert. (in fact, there are some
> random devices out
> there that like the root cert to be sent out too but they are slowly
> disappearing as people get rid of pretty old kit).
>
> your root appears to be SHA1 - its 2017 - any new deployments should
> really be starting with SHA256 (and those with older SHA1 roots,
> think about upgrading :) )

Just to not let false information stand as-is on a mailing list: No.

The signature algorithm on the root CA itself is meaningless and ignored
by all supplicants around.

The reason is that the signature is entirely self-asserted by the
certificate itself - it is the own private key that signs the cert.
Making that SHA-512 does not make the information "I am sure that I am
myself" any more useful.

No supplicant I've come across takes offence on *that* signature.

Only if an intermediate CA or a server cert is signed with SHA-1 then
there's reason to suspect that this is the cause of error.

That's why I wasked for the server cert - it's the only way to know if
there is an intermediate in play at all, and it's the only way to see if
there's something fishy about the cert chain and server cert properties.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université