cat-users - [[cat-users]] Hashing user's password in wpa_supplicant config file on Linux

[[cat-users]] Hashing user's password in wpa_supplicant config file on Linux

  • From: Ondřej Caletka <Ondrej.Caletka AT cesnet.cz>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Hashing user's password in wpa_supplicant config file on Linux
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:49:08 +0100

Hi,

I just tried using CAT for my Linux system which does not use Network
Manager. Everything worked all right, except I have been warned that my
password will be clearly visible in wpa_supplicant.conf.

I would like to point out that it is not necessary, at least not with
MSCHAPv2. WPA supplicant will happily accept NTLM hash of the password
specified as password=hash:<NTLM hash>

NTLM hash can be obtained for instance by this shell pipeline[1]:

$ echo -n plaintext_password_here | iconv -t utf16le | openssl md4

or this Python one-liner[2]:

$ python -c 'import getpass,hashlib;
print(hashlib.new("md4",getpass.getpass().encode("utf-16le")).hexdigest())'

Of course, there's no real security in using hash instead of password
but at least such hash is much more harder to remember for instance when
wpa_supplicant.conf is briefly observer by a third party.

It would be nice if some future version of CAT supported this hashing.

--
Best regards,

Ondřej Caletka
CESNET