cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Bug? Windows installer places bundled certificates in "Run As" user's personal store

Re: [[cat-users]] Bug? Windows installer places bundled certificates in "Run As" user's personal store

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Robin Breathe <p0073773 AT brookes.ac.uk>
  • Cc: eduroam <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Bug? Windows installer places bundled certificates in "Run As" user's personal store
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:41:01 +0100

W dniu 22.02.2017 o 22:10, Robin Breathe pisze:
Tomasz,

Thank you for the clarification. I hadn't found the GEANT/CAT repo before today, so I have no familiarity with the codebase.

We only serve our local CA to supplicants presenting the anonymous identity "eduroam AT brookes.ac.uk" (indicating correct configuration via CAT). All other users are assumed to have been configured either manually or with an older version of CAT that used the Comodo CA.
I see, CAT tests use their own outer username hence confusion.

The bug however does appear to be real. If the profile is configured to install a wired profile (as ours has been set to do recently), and the user has to elevate their privileges by entering credentials for a different account (as opposed to being an administrator and elevating with simple UAC), the certificate gets installed in that other account's certificate store, not in the active user's. As a result, subsequent authentication fails.
OK, I understand. Indeed this scenario has not been tested and it could indeed fail. I need to think how this could be overcome.

When privileges have already been raised to install the wired profile, would it be reasonable to install certificates into the System store rather than those of the user? Presumably, without this, local CAs won't work when the user is logged out, either…
This would be one possible way to go.

When a colleague attempted to install an updated Win7 installer earlier with the wired profile disabled, it still prompted to raise credentials. We'll test again tomorrow.
As far as I can tell your installers use PEAP, thus I do not see any reason why the installer should ask for admin privileges. Please do test and let me know the result. I will run a test with your installer as well.

Tomasz

Regards,
Robin