cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] setEAPCred.exe detected as malware

Re: [[cat-users]] setEAPCred.exe detected as malware

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: "Baumann Niklaus (PSI)" <niklaus.baumann AT psi.ch>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] setEAPCred.exe detected as malware
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 11:15:01 +0100

Hi,
   I have looked at these reports. The binary difference can be easily explained. One of these files is not signed, the other is.
I have run the Virus Total tests on my own copies, and they are the same files that you have looked at.

The file currently distributed from eduroamCAT has been digitally signed by me in September this year. I hoped that the signature on the component might lower the chance of heuristic alerts being displayed. Probably this did not work.

There is something in that file that bothers some of the scanners, one theory is that it is the way they were generated - with the AutoIt tool. I have a plan to replace this utility with another one, kindly made available by Simon Rozman, which is compiled directly from source and at least today does not raise any alarms. I hope that this will be a cure, but the change requires proper testing before we can put it in production.

Cheers
Tomasz