cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] ConnMan on Linux

Re: [[cat-users]] ConnMan on Linux

  • From: Alexander Rath <alexander.rath AT posteo.net>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] ConnMan on Linux
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 16:43:32 +0100

Hello,

> NetworkManager makes this easy with it's D-BUS support - we feed all
> the config info via its D-BUS interface.

I don't know much about that possibility (maybe it exists) but:

> Does ConnMan have a scripting feature? Or does it store its config in
> a way that simple drop-in of a new connection at a deterministic place
> will do the trick?

Yes, it does have such a deterministic place:

In the /var/lib/connman folder *.confing files can be placed, which are
very similar to the cat_installer.conf files.

My solution was to place a file called eduroam.config (the extension is
indeed *.config, not *.conf) to the mentioned folder, containing the
following items:

[service_eduroam]
Type=wifi
Name=eduroam
EAP=peap
CACertFile=/var/lib/connman/eduroam_ff-ul.pem
Phase2=MSCHAPV2
AnonymousIdentity=anonymous AT ff.uni-lj.si

As you can see, I placed also the *.pem file there, but actually I could
choose any other file name and folder for the *.pem.

With this configuration the GUI applet or config tool in use will prompt
the user for the username and the password for the first time he/she
connects.

Optionally also the username and the password can be added to this file
in advance:

Identity=XYZ AT ff.uni-lj.si
Passphrase=1234abcd

(This example was made for the Faculty of Arts of the University of
Ljubljana)

There is also a man page describing the possible items of the *.config
file:

https://www.mankier.com/5/connman-service.config

And there is also a user guide at the Arch-Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman

Both pages even mention EDUROAM, so I guess there must be a need for a
script or config tool enabling eduroam with ConnMan.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Alexander