cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Remove/disable SSID on OS X not working

Re: [[cat-users]] Remove/disable SSID on OS X not working

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Thomas Andersen <than AT itu.dk>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Remove/disable SSID on OS X not working
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:07:49 +0200

Hello,

> I have tested again in another environment and still get the same results.
>
> Is there anyone who can confirm that the deactivate SSID is not working
> because of OS X ignoring the key from the config?
>
> And does anyone have a clue where the correct place to submit it as a
> bug report to Apple?

The only way I know of is bugreport.apple.com . Some of my own reports
were actually acted upon (which is more than I can say regarding
Android! ;-) ).

FWIW, I can create a modified mobileconfig on our testing platform which
adds the "Disabled" key to the file.

I don't know if this is going to have any effect; just by seeing it
after-the-fact in the current config on the machine does not mean the
same key is also accepted when it comes in from outside. But it is sure
worth a try.

I'll contact you off-list when a test case is ready.

Greetings,

Stefan

> [...]
> *To: *Thomas Andersen
> <than AT itu.dk>
>
> <mailto:than AT itu.dk>,
>
> "'cat-users AT lists.geant.org'"
>
> <mailto:'cat-users AT lists.geant.org'>
>
> <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
>
> <mailto:cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [[cat-users]] Remove/disable SSID on OS X not working
>

> Hello,
>
> I have done some testing and can now confirm that disable SSID
> on OS X, is not working as intended.
>

> Have anyone else had this problem?
>

> *Test steps taken:*
>
> Fresh installed OS X El capitan.
>
> CAT downloaded and installed.
>
> It joins a eduroam instantly.
>
> Confirmed that eduroam and ITU-guest was in the SSID list.
>
> I then left campus and made a SSID called ITU-guest on my phone
> as a hotspot.
>
> When I turned on the laptop, it joined ITU-guest.
>
> Shut down laptop and returned to campus.
>
> When starting the laptop again, it joins ITU-guest.
>

> Hm, this is indeed not how things are supposed to work. The disabled
> SSID gets packed in the installer with the "AutoJoin = FALSE"
> property, meaning no device should connect unless the network is
> manually clicked upon. If you look at the installer profile, this is
> the snippet to look for:
>
> <key>AutoJoin</key>
> <false/>
>
> The catch is: the files for iOS and for OS X are identical. If the
> disabling of SSIDs works on iOS (does it?) then there is no
> explanation for a different behaviour on OS X other than a bug in
> the OS.
>
> Can you verify if the disabling works as intended on iOS?
>
> Is this specific to El Capitan, or did you also test other versions
> of OS X?
>
> At least Apple's doc is clear that it should work like this across
> all OS X versions:
>
> "
>
> Optional. Default |true|. If |true|, the network is auto-joined. If
> |false|, the user has to tap the network name to join it.
>
> *Availability:* Available in iOS 5.0 and later and in all versions
> of OS X."
>

> Greetings,
>
> Stefan Winter
>

> --
>
> Med venlig hilsen / With best regards
>
> Thomas Andersen
>

> Network Architect
>

> IT University of Copenhagen
>
> Rued Langgaards Vej 7
>
> 2300 København S
>

> Phone: +45 72185249

> mailto:sympa AT lists.geant.org?subject=unsubscribe%20cat-users
> Or use the following link:
> https://lists.geant.org/sympa/sigrequest/cat-users
>

> To unsubscribe, send this message:
>
> mailto:sympa AT lists.geant.org?subject=unsubscribe%20cat-users
> Or use the following link:
> https://lists.geant.org/sympa/sigrequest/cat-users
>

> To unsubscribe, send this message:
> mailto:sympa AT lists.geant.org?subject=unsubscribe%20cat-users

Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette