cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Is it possible to get the content of the Windows CAT installer

Re: [[cat-users]] Is it possible to get the content of the Windows CAT installer

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Martin Kjeldgaard Nikolajsen <martinn AT samf-it.ku.dk>, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>, Thomas Andersen <than AT itu.dk>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Is it possible to get the content of the Windows CAT installer
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 10:23:24 +0200

Hi Martin,

   I was away from office, and can reply only now. Perhaps you problem has been resolved by now, but I would like to add two things which have not been mentioned so far.

1. You can run the installer with the DEBUG flag. Setting -DEBUG=4 will give you the highest level of debugging so you will be able to see what the installer does, additionally in debug mode the temporary files extracted from the CAT installer are not removed, exactly for the purpose of inspection, so you will be able to see all. You will also be able to examine the wireless profiles created by CAT.

2. If an institution creates their own installers setting up more network properties then just those required by CAT, then it is possible to run the CAT installer in a silent mode. Just run it with the /S flag (which is the standard NSIS flag).  In Silent mode, the installer will not ask for credentials, this will happen on the first attempted connection to any of the networks which have been set up. The silent mode allows you to pack CAT in your own wrapper and the user will only see interaction with yours.

Yours

Tomasz